Position Title: Deputy Clerk of Courts, Title Office
Reports to: Huron County Clerk of Courts
FLSA Status: Unclassified/ Non-Exempt
Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week, including alternating Saturday mornings)
Job Summary: The Deputy Clerk of Courts, Title Office, is appointed by and works under the auspices of the Huron County Clerk of Courts. This position performs functions of the Title Division and provides support to citizens by issuing vehicle titles, memos, liens, and duplicate titles, as well as by performing general office functions, including, but not necessarily limited to, those listed below.
- Issues titles, memos, liens and duplicate titles. Collects fees and taxes; files documents; enters computer data; scans; corresponds by telephone or in writing; issues fax and copy entries; prepares deposits; and operates office equipment.
- Assists the general public, automobile and boat dealers, attorneys, and bank personnel in processing and issuing titles.
- Notarizes documents, completes forms, collects taxes, fees, etc.
- Explains corrections and additional information necessary to transfer or assign titles, cancel liens, etc.
- Processes and researches requests for information in person and via telephone (e.g. lost titles, tax totals, fee totals, lien cancellations, etc.).
- Enters data in computer.
- Calculates total taxes on titles and total costs, reconciles and balances daily fees collected; prepares and collates daily activity sheets (number and kinds of titles, etc.).
- Types and/or copies documentation generated by title activities (letters, titles, tax and fee reports, watercraft, inter-county and state reports, etc.).
- Prepares and distributes required reports to various state offices on office activities; prepares report for Bureau of Motor Vehicles on number of titles issued; prepares report to State Treasurer on fees collected; types, copies and files reports.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships.
- Completes work in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to relate well with the public, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Exhibit professionalism in manner and appearance.
- Excellent comprehension and the ability to learn quickly.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Exhibit motivation, a positive and helpful attitude, and commitment.
- Multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment where excellent customer service is required.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school graduate/GED
- Proficiency in word processing, typing, and data entry.
- Mathematically acute.
- Exhibit proper grammar in speaking and writing.
- Possess or obtain valid Ohio driver’s license within thirty (30) days of appointment.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in government and working with the public.
- Experience in accounting and/or title.
- Notary Public
All office equipment, including, but not limited to, computers, keyboards, telephone system equipment, copiers, scanners, recorders, and facsimile machines.
Work Environment: Work is performed indoors in a climate-controlled office setting. Incumbent must be able to bend, stoop, stand, traverse to other areas; go up and down steps, and sit for prolonged periods. Must be able to read and write and operate office equipment, such as scanners, computers, and telephones. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Application and Selection Procedures:
Candidates are required to submit a resume and a Huron County Application for Employment, which can be found at http://www.huroncountyclerk.com under “important notices”. Submit to Susan Hazel, Huron County Clerk of Courts, 2 East Main Street Norwalk, OH 44857 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resume and application must be received by 4:30 pm on Monday June 6, 2022.
The successful candidate will be subject to pre-employment drug testing, a driving record check and a full background investigation. Only those to be interviewed will be contacted.